I had the opportunity to preach this past week and I just wanted to share my sermon notes with you. Through my studying and preparation for this message, God was speaking to me and how I need to grow in my relationship with Him and also in my relationship with my wife. I hope that this is a blessing. Later this week, I will upload the video to my YouTube channel and the audio to my podcast! Please enjoy!
Walking With God
“And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.” Genesis 5:24
We used to have what we called Fundamentalist Conferences growing up. Jack Hyles was the keynote speaker every year. I remember as a kid, our auditorium being packed out to hear him preach. During this conference, the church hosted a luncheon where the speakers would answer questions. It seemed like the same guy asked the same question every year to the same preacher. A man in our church would ask Dr. Hyles this question, “What advice can you give to a young preacher to build a successful ministry like yours?” The answer to that question was always the same, “Walk with God, young man, walk with God.”
You see there is nothing complicated about the Christian life. God didn’t make it complicated to serve Him. He did say it wouldn’t be easy and at times, you will go through problems, but God did not make it complicated. Like I say at work, when I explain different processes…”It is not rocket science.”
It doesn’t take someone with a doctorate or a masters in theology to understand how to walk with God. You don’t have to be engineer or scientist to understand the process of walking with God.
Having a walk with God is compared to having a relationship or close friendship with someone else.
To grow close to someone, you spend time with them. You talk to them. You do things for them.
I remember when my wife and I were dating, all we wanted was to spend time with each other. We enjoyed talking to each other and being in each other’s company. That is how we grew close to each other. Now as we are married, we still have to spend time with each other and talk to each other and do things for each other. The only problem is now there are kids that are involved and life and other things, now we have to work to do these things. It isn’t always easy and we go through problems, but if we continue to do the things that brought us together than we can make it through.
Walking with God is having a relationship with Him. The more time you spend with Him, the stronger your relationship becomes.
When I think of walking with God and what it takes, I think of three different areas.
- “Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom.” Proverbs 18:1
- “For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.” Proverbs 2:6
- “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.” Psalms 19:7
- To walk with God, we first have to have a desire.
- Desire means (n) a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen, (v) strongly wish for or want.
- We have to want to walk with God. We have to strongly want to walk with God. It should be a desire that burns in our heart!
- Going back to dating illustration again, I desired to spend time with Miranda. I wanted to talk with her and just spend time whenever I could with her. I would wake up early to go to class early to eat breakfast with her. There were countless times we were both cutting it close to getting to work on time because we wanted to spend time together. The time we spent together, brought us closer together.
- Now as we are married, we should still have that same desire to spend time together. We should always work on making time for each other and talking to each other. Why? Because we are in a relationship and those are key things to keeping that relationship strong.
- The same desire that a dating couple has and a married couple should have, should be the same desire that we as Christians have when it comes to our relationship with God.
- Like Proverbs 18:1 (A) says, through desire a man…..with all wisdom.
- In Proverbs 2:6 (B), we see that the Lord giveth wisdom.
- And then in Psalms 19:7 (C) we see that the law of the Lord is…making wise the simple.
- What I see in these 3 verses is this:
- We have to have a desire to want wisdom
- We have to realize that wisdom comes from the Lord.
- The law of the Lord, or the Bible, is what makes us wise.
- When we walk with God, we will gain wisdom. But to get there, it all starts with a desire.
- Our desire to walk with with God and spend time with Him, should be like that desire we had when we were dating or newly married.
- Have a strong wishing and wanting to spend time with Him.
- You aren’t going to walk with God, if you aren’t even thinking about it. You aren’t going to think about walking with God if there is no desire.
- “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” Romans 12:1-2
- Dedicate means to devote to the worship of a divine being, to set apart to a definite use, to commit to a goal or a way of life.
- After we find that desire to walk with God, we need to dedicate ourselves to walking with God.
- Walking with God, doesn’t just happen, you have to dedicate time and effort to making it happen.
- It is like a relationship. They do not just happen. There is a dedication that is involved.
- There is a dedication of time.
- There is a dedication of effort.
- For a relationship to get past the ‘I have a crush on you’ stage, there is dedication.
- To move to the actual courtship, dating stage, is a decision of dedication.
- To get engaged, you signify your dedication through an engagement ring.
- When you get married, you are dedicating your life to that person through those vows you say.
- A relationship is formed out of desire and founded on dedication.
- Our walk with God, needs to be formed out of desire, a longing and wishing to be close to God.
- Our walk with God, needs to be founded on dedicating time and effort to walking with Him.
- In Romans 12:1-2, we see Paul telling us that we need to sacrifice ourselves, our wants and our desires and become holy and acceptable unto God.
- Of course, we aren’t going to walk with God and He isn’t going to walk with us if we are spotted and dirty with the things of this world.
- Too many Christians want the fellowship and walk with God while they are still doing the things of the world and living like the world.
- You cannot have it both ways. Like when I got serious about dating Miranda, she didn’t want me talking to other girls. And when I got married, that is a huge no-no.
- I got married, I dedicated myself to one person for the rest of my life. There is no one else.
- Our walk with God should be the same. We should be dedicated to walking with Him, there should be nothing else that takes the place of Him in our lives.
- The world and the devil enjoys distracting you and getting you sidetracked from walking with God.
- We have so many distractions these days…tv, phone, music, movies, internet,sleep, exercise, eating, fellowship, ministries…all these necessarily aren’t wrong but when they take the place of walking with God they are.
- What are you willing to sacrifice to walk with God?
- Having a relationship with anyone requires sacrifice with something.
- Having a great relationship requires a daily continual sacrifice.
- Walking with God requires dedication and sacrifice.
- Dedicate to walk with God in your life. Transform your life to be a life that God would want to fellowship with.
- “And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.” Genesis 5:22-23
- After you find that desire to walk with God, and decide to dedicate your yourself to walking with God, YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT A DAILY OCCURENCE IN YOUR LIFE.
- I honestly believe that a true walk with God is more than just 15 minutes of Bible reading and prayer each day.
- A walk with God is a relationship that consumes your life.
- Just like being married, that relationship consumes my life. I have to daily interact with my wife.
- If I go three days without talking to my wife, there is probably something wrong. Our relationship will start to deteriorate.
- Relationships take daily work, daily walk, and daily words with each other.
- If you only walk with God once a week or once a month, you will have a very poor and almost non-existent relationship with God.
- In our text verse about Enoch, we see that he walked with God and was not for God took him.
- I have heard many different things about this verse but the one that has always stuck out was that Enoch was so close to God, that God prefered that he be in Heaven with Him because they were so close in their walk.
- So how do we walk with God daily? We have the desire to walk with Him and we are dedicated to walk with Him. We are resolved to build a relationship with Christ!
- When you get to this point, this is when the devil will really start fighting. He doesn’t want you to get close to Christ. He doesn’t want you walking God….especially not everyday.
- The devil will throw everything he has at you to keep you from walking with God. Work, family, some event, some problem, whatever it is, the devil will try to make you feel like you have no time for walking with God.
- So back to the question of how do we walk with God daily?
- Schedule a time for Bible reading and prayer
- Schedule 15 minutes to start your morning out walking with God. You have to start somewhere.
- Like I said earlier, a walk with God is more than just Bible reading and prayer in the morning. Find ways to keep the Bible in front of you every day.
- I have two verses written down on sticky notes that are on my computer at work…one is Philippians 4:11, “Not that I speak in in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” and the other is I Timothy 1:12 which is my life verse. These are constant reminders to be content wherever I am at and to be faithful in my service for Christ wherever I am at.
- Lately I have been reading a lot on how to be successful in life and how successful people became successful, and one thing they all have in common is they have a schedule.
- So schedule time everyday where you put down the phone, turn off the tv, get away from the family, remove yourself from the hustle and bustle of life and have that quiet, intimate time of walking with God.
- Serve God throughout the day.
- As I was thinking about this message and the illustration that I have used throughout of our relationship with our spouse, I realized that serving our spouse is part of building a stronger relationship.
- If we really love Christ like we say we do, we will show it through our service and what we do.
- Do things throughout the day that will strengthenn your relationship with God.
- Probably the number one thing you can do is witness. We don’t have to wait until scheduled soul winning times to tell others about God. We can be a witness wherever and whenever.
- I am not ashamed to tell people that I am married and that Miranda is my wife, so why should I be ashamed to tell people that I am a Christian and that Christ has changed my life.
Walking with God. It should be more than just Bible reading and prayer. It should be a lifestyle, a relationship that we work on building stronger every single day.
Enoch walked with God and had such a close relationship that God took Him. What greater testimony of walking with God than that?
Enoch walked with God for 300 years! We have no excuse for why we can’t walk with God for the 75 years that He gives us.
Get a DESIRE to walk with God!
Find that DEDICATION to walk with God!
And then just decide to DAILY walk with God!
Let’s build our relationship with God so that we become better Christians. And remember, the closer you get to God, the better your earthly relationships will become.
Thanks for your continued reading! If you would like to support us but love shopping on Amazon more, just click on this link to shop! When you do, we get a little kickback, it is just something that helps keep this blog going!!
We appreciate your support!