“Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” I Timothy 4:12
“Young and dumb.” This little phrase is used to excuses mistakes we make in our youth. The phrase was actually in the news last week when a football player getting ready for the draft used it to excuse his racially insensitive tweets that he posted as 14-15 year old kid. He was using his youth as an excuse to make a mistake.
The Bible tells us different. It says “Let no man despise thy youth…” Nobody should be able to look at you and say “Oh, they are just young.” Your youth should not be a reason for you or for anybody else to excuse your mistakes.
God than tells us in that verse, “but be thou an example of the believers…” Whether you or young or old, this can be applied to each one of us! We need to be an example OF the believers to everyone that we come in contact with throughout our daily lives.
Paul then goes on and gives us a list of things to be an example in.
- IN WORD – the way you speak should be different than the way the world speaks. Your speech should be honouring and glorifying to God. Your speech should edify those around you. Your speech shouldn’t be filled with foul language and dirty jokes. Ask yourself, can someone see Christ through the way I talk and what I say? If not than it is time to wash our mouth out and start learning to talk right!
- IN CONVERSATION – The word conversation here means lifestyle. Our lifestyle consists of where we go, what we do, what we wear, etc. People should be able to look at our lifestyle and tell that we are a Christian. We should set an example to others for Christ in everything we do.
- IN CHARITY – We all know that word charity means love in action. This world is definitely lacking in the love in action area. Everyone is out for themselves, only doing things for their own personal gain. Let us love like Christ and love and help those around us.
- IN SPIRIT – Your attitude says a lot about you. Your spirit shows on your countenance and reflects what is in the heart. We need to have a joyful spirit. We need to have a praising spirit. We need to have a thankful spirit.
- IN FAITH – A Christian should never lack faith in God. We should always have faith in God that He will take care of us in the bad times. We should have faith that He will supply our need. We should have faith that He will never leave or forsake us. Your faith in God should be able to build up someone else’s faith in God.
- IN PURITY – We live in such a sinful and wicked world that we lack moral and physical purity in our youth today. We need more young Christians who stand up for what is right and say no to wrong! We as Christians, no matter the age, need to be morally pure in everything we do!
If you life your life centered around God’s Word, you will have a greater chance of being an example of the believers to those around you. Don’t sin or mess up your life and blame it on “I was young and dumb!” That excuse doesn’t fly with God. Sin is still sin, no matter how old or young you are.
“Let no man despise thy youth…”